Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Near Accident & a fender bender in Portland OR

Near Accident in Tacoma:
As we were coming in to Tacoma, WA, I (Laurie) was driving. I was coming over these sets of small rises and falls. (I just happened to be going slower than usual, because I had just smoked my brakes on a large hill just before this.)

As I came over one rise, I could see down at the bottom of the little valley that there were cars on the side of the road (as if an accident had just happened). Then I saw a semi-truck move quickly from the travel lane to the shoulder along with another car in front of him.

I'm thinking... ok they had an incident, but they have moved it all over to the shoulder, so everything is OK. I just continue on as usual.

I am traveling in the right lane of a two lane highway (WA-18) when all of a sudden I noticed that the 3 or 4 cars directly in front of me (in the distance) are coming to a complete stop - IN THE TRAVEL LANES! In Front of ME.

I then realize that I don't have enough time or room to stop before I would be hitting those cars. I feel God there with me, and I'm very calm. It seems like it is happening in slow motion. I look to the shoulder and there is this area between the two sets of cars / semi truck on the side of the road and a grassy area just off the shoulder area, and I head for that opening.

I pull on the air horn and hold it, and put on my brakes as best as I could. I finally come to a stop with my cab in the grassy area and the trailer on the shoulder, but no injuries and no accident. THANK GOD!

I take a moment to collect myself and slowly back out of the space onto the shoulder. A policeman walks by and gives me a thumbs up and smiles. Traffic is flowing smoothly....and I go on my way.


Fender-Bender in Portland, OR.

I was in the Jubitz Truck Stop in Portland OR. It was about 6:45pm and the place was PACKED. I had been so careful going around each turn at the end of the aisles, but this last turn I thought I saw a parking space, so my eyes were on the parking space and not on my trailer.
Rule #1 : Always Watch Your Trailer!
So I cut the turn too sharp and caught the front right fender of the truck on the end of the aisle, with the mid section of my trailer. There was damage to his truck, but only a scratch to the trailer. I got out, took pictures, and left a note. (The driver was not present.) We also called the Portland Police, but they said they don't come out to non-injury accidents and that all I had to do was leave a note, which I did, and I was going to do anyway.
This is my first accident since getting my CDL about a year ago.
What a bummer... and it was totally preventable.
Trucking in three easy steps:
1. Always watch your trailer.
2. Take is slow - real slow.
3. Take it wide.
Of the two near disasters, I think I got off easy.
Thank You God.
The fender bender was a wake-up call.
Till next time,
Laurie :)

No comments: