Sunday, July 15, 2007

Days 4 - 8

Day 4 Wed. 7/11. (Day 1 of waiting)
Waiting for a trainer to be assigned to me. I already knew this would take a little while because I requested a Female/Non-smoker..... Female trainers are rare... Female/Non-smokers are even more rare...... That's OK. I will wait.


Day 5 Thurs. 7/12 (Day 2 of waiting)
Waiting for a trainer to be assigned to me.
Did laundry at the terminal.
I get approved for an EFS check to get an advance on my pay. $40. But $44 will be charged to my account when I get me first paycheck.
I walk down to the nearest truck stop to cash the check. They charge $3 to cash it (standard).

But at least I have $37 to live on for a few days.
At about 6pm, I get assigned a Roommate.
She is 3/4 the way through her 275 training hours. She has had 5 different trainers so far, and is waiting for a trainer to complete her final 70 hours.


Day 6 Fri. 7/13 (Day 3 of waiting)
Waiting for a trainer, and taking it easy.


Day 7 Sat. 7/14 (Day 4 of waiting)
A friend of the family, James, (who also happens to be my Truck Driving school instructor) is driving his motorcycle north from San Diego, CA to the hotel in San Bernardino, CA to have dinner with me. I like that... a friendly face, instead of just looking at the walls of the hotel room. He takes me to El Toritos. Yum! and gives me $40. He is such a wonderful friend.

Finally I get THE call!!! I get assigned a trainer. Yea!!
I am her first student, and she is my first trainer. (Hopefully, my only trainer.)
We meet and talk for a while and really hit it off.
I go to dinner with James, and she goes to dinner with a friend of hers.

We (me & the trainer) meet afterwards to do some shopping at Wal-Mart & Food 4 Less to get set up for when we need to leave... probably on Monday.

They assigned her (us) a truck, but she is going to try to get a different truck, hopefully a better truck. We'll see how it plays out Monday.


Day 8 Sunday 7/15.
The room I'm in develops a problem with the toilet, so we (me & roommate) get assigned to another room, but my roommate decides she wants a room with a refer & micro, so she asked to be moved again. My trainer offers to share her room with me.... so I move in with my trainer. I figure... I might as well get used to it, since we will be in close quarters in the truck very soon.
Hanging out and relaxing....
We also get to read some scripture. Psalms 23 & 100. Nice.
God is Good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I thought that this would interest you and your readers!


July 20, 2007
Truck Driver to Appear on National Television on dLifeTV
Florida Resident Fits the Exact Profile for Producers
For people with diabetes, getting control of one’s glucose levels is always the ultimate goal, but for many it’s an ongoing struggle. For Kathleen, Florida resident Nancy Younger, who has diabetes, being a full time truck driver and balancing her diabetes is now making her a mini-celebrity.

The producers of dLifeTV — a national, weekly, newsmagazine show about diabetes, airing on CNBC Sundays at 7:00PM Eastern — were looking for someone for their “Real People, Real Stories” segment, which features individuals who have inspiring stories related to living with diabetes. Ms. Younger found that exercising at various truck stops by walking around the parking lot, staying in touch with her doctor and watching what she ate greatly improved her blood glucose control and offered her the opportunity to lose weight.

dLifeTV with the second show of its new season offers viewers the opportunity to see first hand what it is like living on the road; truck stop to truck stop with diabetes when they hear Nancy Younger’s story and more on July 22nd at 7:00PM on CNBC. Bill Younger, Nancy’s husband and also a truck driver, also appears on the show to discuss how he supports his wife in her ongoing battle against diabetes. dLife TV is the brainchild of Howard Steinberg, who is executive producer of the seven-time, Telly Award-winning show, and also lives with type 1 diabetes.

About dLife
dLifeTV is the first and only national, weekly, lifestyle series devoted to living with diabetes, and www.dLife.com is the largest, independent website with diabetes information. The dLife.com Viewing Room offers original streaming video content — unique and entertaining information for people with diabetes, with prediabetes, or who have a family member with diabetes. Produced by LifeMed Media, dLife is the first-ever multimedia platform for diabetes information, inspiration, and connection. dLifeTV airs every Sunday on CNBC at 7:00pm ET, 6:00pm CT, and 4:00pm PT. The dLife Diabetes Minute is heard on radio stations around the country and on XM Satellite Radio.