Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Getting assigned a truck and starting to drive

We were assigned a truck that was a POS, so my trainer asked to search the yard for another truck. We got a better truck, but the batteries were dead.

Two days in the shop to fix the batteries, and some other things, and to get the Pre-Passes and Toll passes sent overnight.

Load #1
7/18/07
Ontario, CA to Prescott, AZ (Sears)
My trainer drove for most of the time. But that was OK with me. I was a little nervous to start.
I eventually got to drive, and tried to back in (Sears in Prescott), but couldn't get it.... so my trainer back it in. It was a tight space, but I tried.

Load #2
7/19/07
Flagstaff, AZ to El Paso, Tx (Purina)
I got to back in the empty trailer, and pick up the loaded trailer at Purina. The trailer was too low, so we had to let out the air in the suspension to hook it up. OK. I drove on/off for about 5 hours.

Load #3
7/20/07
El Paso, TX to Phoenix, AZ (Werner-split)
I got to drive about 5 hours..... Yea!
Something is wrong.... My left shoulder is killing me, and there is a pinching sensation between my shoulder blades. Hope this goes away soon. I have asked for prayer, and will rest it.
My trainer has some home time coming up in a few days (7/26/07), so we are trying to make sure we get loads that will make that happen.
IT IS SOOOO HOT!!! I'm melting.... the A/C is only working about 1/2 way.
But in the Phoenix terminal.... to get the A/C fixed will take 4 Days!!! Not right now...

Load #4
7/21/07 - 7/22/07
Phoenix, AZ to El Paso, TX (Werner Ladders)
After Prayer....some rest, and taking some Ibuprofen... I didn't have any pain in my shoulder!!! Praise God!!
We got this load assigned to us at about 8pm.... It took 45 mins to find the right trailer in the Phoenix yard. I can only drive until 12-midnight because I am a student, so I drove from 9pm til 11:30pm. My trainer's 14-hour clock went from 7:30am - 9:30pm. So we had to stop for the night in New Mexico. We delivered the load in the am. I got to back in. !!
Straight line back. easy. Good.

7/23/07
They tried to give us a load to San Antonio, TX.... 550 miles in the opposite direction that we need to be going (to Utah).... we finally got taken off that load.

7/24/07
We waited all day for a load. It finally came through.
It should be available about 8:30pm. Guess where it is going...
El Paso, TX back to Phoenix, AZ.
I think we can drive this stretch in our sleep. :)
My trainer will take the night shift... 9pm - 9am.
I'll be driving the next load (hopefully)... to Salt Lake City, UT. 9am - 9pm.
This will be my first time sleeping while the truck is in motion...... we'll see how that goes....
God is Good!!

2 comments:

Tammy Snyder said...

Hi Laurie, it's nice to see there's Christian's on the road. Stay safe...both of you.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie,
I start school on Jan2.
Saw Sam's Trucks/Vans in Billings MT where I live. I want to drive for Him (Jesus) and him (Sam), I think. Was looking for Sam's website, and got your blog. How's it working for Sam? My Pastor says
he likes driving that GIANT billboard for JESUS (is LORD). I'm
hoping (praying) I will too.

I'll be praying for you (and the world) as big rigs can be a chore. May He bless you and your mate.
in Christ, Richie

PS; I'm > LionelRichie@PeoplePC.com
PPS; What do you get for downtime?